The Practice criteriums are a Madison cycling community tradition, and have been taking place for 20+ years! They will again will take place on Wednesday evenings in May and June, and may be extended into July and August if there is interest and participation.
The crits are a great opportunity for new racers to learn crit racing skills and for experienced racers to work on their skills, and they are an excellent mid-week work out. Plus, what is more fun than hanging out with your cycling friends!
The B race (typically Cat 4/5, women, juniors, beginners) starts about 6:30 pm for about 30 minutes, and the A race (typically Cat 1/2/3) starts about 7:10 pm for about 50 minutes.
Note: During the B race, experienced racers will be available to “shadow” B race riders (for those who are interested) and provide in-race “instruction.”
The course is located at the UW Research Park on Madison’s west side, and is approximately a 0.9 mile loop consisting of S Rosa Rd - Charmany Dr - Research Park Blvd.
Registration is located near the intersection of S Rosa Rd and Research Park Blvd, and opens at 6 pm and closes at 7 pm.
- In contrast to past years, the entry fee is $5 for everyone (whether you are doing the A race or B race, and whether you volunteer to corner guard or not) as we have to cover the increasing expenses associated with putting on the crits (e.g. street permit fee, USA Cycling fee, port-potty rental).
- you must bring your USA Cycling license the first time you register; if you do not have a license, purchase an annual or 1-day license in advance (you can also do it on-site)
- remember to save your race number and bring it with you each time
- complete and print the USAC release form at home and bring it to the practice crit (http://www.usacycling.org/forms/waiver.php?url=Competitive-and-Noncompetitive-Event-Release.pdf); you only need to complete the USA Cycling Ride Release form the first time you race
- if you do not have a USAC license, apply for an annual license or 1-day license on-line rather than at the practice crit (https://www.usacycling.org/myusac/index.php?pagename=login)
- bring exact change to register ($5 entry fee); checks and credit cards will not be accepted
1. All riders must wear a USA Cycling legal/approved bicycle helmet.
2. Course is open to traffic, so be aware while riding.
3. No clip-on or other triathlon/time trial bars. USA Cycling legal road bikes only.
4. You may drop out and re-enter the race at any time except during the final two laps. Re-enter the race safely and on the straight sections of the course only.
5. Use the port-potties located behind the building near the corner of Charmany Dr and Research Park Blvd.
6. Dangerous riders will be pulled at the official’s discretion.
7. Check the Madison Practice Crits web site (you are on it now!) for cancellations due to inclement weather. Will try to update the page by 4:30 pm on race days.
8. All USA Cycling rules are in effect (with the exception of the free lap rule, see #4).
9. Be on your best behavior - we are guests and want to be able to continue to use the area for the practice crits in the future.